Do you want to end Racism ?

Do you want to end Racism ?
If yes Click here and Sign This petition

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Elephant and the Fly



A disciple and his teacher were walking through the forest. The disciple was disturbed by the fact that his mind was in constant unrest.

He asked his teacher: "Why most people's minds are restless, and only a few possess a calm mind? What can one do to still the mind?"

The teacher looked at the disciple, smiled and said:
"I will tell you a story. An elephant was standing and picking leaves from a tree. A small fly came, flying and buzzing near his ear. The elephant waved it away with his long ears. Then the fly came again, and the elephant waved it away once more".

This was repeated several times. Then the elephant asked the fly:
"Why are you so restless and noisy? Why can't you stay for a while in one place?"

The fly answered: "I am attracted to whatever I see, hear or smell. My five senses pull me constantly in all directions and I cannot resist them. What is your secret? How can you stay so calm and still?"

The elephant stopped eating and said:
"My five senses do not rule my attention. Whatever I do, I get immersed in it. Now that I am eating, I am completely immersed in eating. In this way I can enjoy my food and chew it better. I rule and control my attention, and not the other way around."

Upon hearing these words, the disciple's eyes opened wide and a smile appeared on his face. He looked at his teacher and said:
"I understand! If my five senses are in control of my mind and attention, then my mind is in constant unrest. If I am in charge of my five senses and attention, then my mind becomes calm".

"Yes, that's right", answered the teacher, " The mind is restless and goes wherever the attention is. Control your attention, and you control your mind".
Lovely Thoughts for Lovely People Just Like You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help us get started on our next Chahal Foundation initiative. Let's end child sex trafficking.

Posted by Gurbaksh Singh Chahal on Sunday, 6 March 2016
bible verses , inspirational quotes , quotes inspirational , inspirational quotes inspirational quotes , quotes of the day , quote of the day , quote for the day , the quote of the day , motivational quotes , birthday quotes , poem of the day , inspirational motivational , poems for kids , quote inspirational , bible quotes , famous quotations , motivational inspirational quotes , quotes motivational inspirational , biblical quotes , famous quotes and sayings , famous quotes sayings , thought of the day , thought for the day , affirmation , affirmations , thoughts for the day , thoughts of the day , christian quotes , romantic quotes , quotes romantic , religious quotes , positive quotes , sayings of the day , positive thinking , thinking positive , motivating quotes , inspiration quotes , quotes of inspiration , thank you quotes , scripture quotes , word wisdom , inspirational stories , positive thoughts , martin luther king quotes , inspirational story , positive inspirational quotes , inspirational positive quotes , inspirational sayings , inspirational poems , inspiring stories good morning quotes and sayings , good morning jokes , life is amazing quotes , romantic good morning quotes , 55 000 amazing quotes , amazingly funny quotes , good morning quotes to start the day , shakespeare good morning quotes , most amazing quotes , good morning quotes love , cute good morning quotes , famous quotes about life and love , amazing quotes xanga , quotes , quote , poems , quotations , love quotes , quotes about love , quotes on love , proverbs , life quotes , quotes about life , quotes on life , quotes of life , quotes for life , funny quotes , quotation , quotes and sayings , quote about life , good morning , famous quotes , inspirational quotes , inspirational quotes quotes , quotes inspirational , quotes to live by , to live quotes , quotes live by , best quotes , the best quotes , friendship quotes , famous quote , quotes of the day , quotes for the day , live life quotes , insurance quotes , friend quotes , qoutes , popular quotes , best quote , quote of the day , quote for the day , motivational quotes , motivational quotes quotes , good quotes , birthday quotes , inspiring quotes , greatest quotes , top quotes , cute quotes , great quotes , inspirational quote , happy quotes ,